In case you were wondering...

In case you were wondering...

This blog exists to encourage all those who have ever wanted--and needed!--a tiny getaway close to home. A workshop, playhouse, garden shed, sanctuary, mini-greenhouse, studio, home office; whatever it is you need, it IS doable, with some sacrifice, imagination, and compromise.

It helps if you're handy, too.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Painters' Progress



Yes, we're a little goofy, why do you ask? It's covered now, but we'll know it's there...




It's so lovely to have reached the stage where we can do it ourselves!  It's brutal, painting overhead, and we're both wiped out, but that part's almost done and as you can see we're working on the walls, too.  (MUCH faster using a roller on a smooth surface, let me tell you!)

We'll put a shelf right at the bottom of the rafters, here, with shaker pegs to hang things from...handy!


J.'s going to build screens for this window, too...though since I usually have the French doors open...

We had leftover ivory paint from our rehab project, as I said--it's satin, which looks rather nice and should be easy to clean.  Today, I'm having J. mix just a bit of leftover yellow in to warm the color for the walls; I'm going to texture them with some drywall mud added to the paint to provide some interest and hide some of the unevenness of walls done with plywood underlayment.


I've done that before in our old bathroom, and it looked great!  Rather like rough plaster...though then it was drywall powder and this time we have a paste-like compound.  Hope it works as well!

Apparently our 2 x 4 studs weren't all that 2 x 4, and the underlayment may not have been exactly the same thickness, either--some was leftover recycled, and some was new. Anyway some of the seams have about 1/8" between the surfaces.  I filled with wood putty, and the texturing will help, too. Not a biggie, I'll just hang a sketch over goofy places!

Now, then...what color to paint the floor?!  (Yes, for now we've decided on paint, right on the plywood.  Faster, and cheaper...)  Right now, it looks like Jackson Pollock went nuts painting a snowstorm in Alaska...

7 comments:

  1. I've put a lot of hidden love notes in buildings/rooms I have painted or walled over. Maybe someone someday will find them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have too, Paul, I like knowing they're there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking good. Yes, 2x4's aren't really 2x4s are they? For the floor don't think color, think pattern! What about stripes or checkers or even marbling? You may never want to change it. If you go marbling a book I have suggests marking it off in 2x2 or 3x3 squares and doing each one as a tile. Easier than doing the whole floor and more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And we weren't trying to pick uniform ones of great quality--thinking shed! So some are pretty uneven, with big old rough knots.

    I may just stencil some on the floor, I have done that a lot. I don't want it very busy, still going for serenity. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about Jackson Pollack in neutrals, from taupe to off white? I think that would look great and not be so busy as to make you crazy? Of course, you'd have to go out and buy more paints...or you could go with a solid soft green...like sage.

    It's looking good. I know you can't wait till it's finished. Can't wait to see it "furnished"...

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a sweet secret! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess it's not so secret any more, Rita. *G*

    Jesse/Joan, funny, we've splattered so much paint on the floor I've already been saying it looks like Jackson Pollack! And I think I want a nice blue gray background, not sure what else. We'll have rugs in the winter, at least.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails