In case you were wondering...

In case you were wondering...

This blog exists to encourage all those who have ever wanted--and needed!--a tiny getaway close to home. A workshop, playhouse, garden shed, sanctuary, mini-greenhouse, studio, home office; whatever it is you need, it IS doable, with some sacrifice, imagination, and compromise.

It helps if you're handy, too.

Friday, July 23, 2010

And this is what a shed with the Good Housekkeping Seal of Approval looks like!


Joe, the incredibly nice young code inspector, squeezed us into a busy day today, after the electricians forgot to call the codes department yesterday. (They normally need a 24 hour notice, which they would have had...but oh well, glad I called to follow up this morning! I really hated to have this hang on over ANOTHER weekend...)

The woman in the codes department asked me what else we needed an OK on, when I told her we needed to go ahead and make some progress--and I thought really, I have no idea, given all the changes and differing opinions!

We wanted to finish backfilling the trench, but didn't know if they needed to see THAT. We're going to paint, but I was concerned they might want to see the wiring inside the wall, even.

Nope, as it happens...

SO. He checked out what he needed to, we had a nice visit, he absolutely gets what the shed is all about, and while we were at it I asked him about the privacy screen I want to put up at the corner of the lot--it's fine, too.

So we're good to go!

J. got the deck light up, we did some landscaping over the trench, and we're ready to move inside and get that done...whew. I feel like I can breathe, now...

25 comments:

  1. You don't see me but I am dancing a happy jig for you! Hooray! It looks really nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm so happy to be done with that phase...happy jig here too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm delighted for you two! When is the housewarming party? I'll send some wine (or even bring it myself).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea verily Congrats. So happy for you both.
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, both of you! We're VERY glad to have reached this stage...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurray!!! It looks scrumptious! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Rita, it certainly has had a mind of its own. It just keeps evolving...definitely gets more serene all the time. There were some old Victorian bits I had planned to incorporate, but they're just too busy...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is awesome Kate!!! Wish I had a "shed" that looks this cool!!! Marva

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I am REALLY amazed that my carpenter friend was able to take the rough sketch at the top of the blog and end up with this! Lots of talent, Mark has...

    ReplyDelete
  10. We humans sure know how to get in our own way, don't we? What an amazing saga. Well, this, too, will fade and when you go to your quiet place you won't think about insulation and wiring and wet woodwork, etcetera ad nauseum -- you'll just breathe. It won't be long now! Good on ya, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy for you! This is a fabulous little work space and I wish you many happy and productive hours enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. THANK you, Irene! I know that YOU know how complex things can get...(and by the way, the woodwork has had DAYS to dry, we put the fan on it all day, every day, and it's still not quite there. Amazing...we just want to SEAL it. Recycling is great, but do be sure what you use is sound, in the first place.)

    MaryO, thank you, I know I will!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, I'm perfectly happy with my little studio in the house, but I have to admit that this awesome little shed makes me drool. It's like having a grown-up fort. I had such an awesome one growing up...it was three stories tall! (each story was only 5' tall...so adults wouldn't come in)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, it is! Or a playhouse. Buddies were over yesterday and reminded me of when their 12-year-old built a 3-story treehouse. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, Kate! The result looks really really good!
    I wish I had somthing like that for myself....
    Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you, Anais! I'll bet if you have the space for it you could make it happen...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow! This is gorgeous!!!! =) And I think this is any artist's dream-come true. Someday I'd build one of these for myself too. You're always so inspiring Cathy ^^

    ReplyDelete
  18. You must be pleased. Just looking at the picture brings pleasure to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just a beautiful place. I am glad you are so close! Can't wait to see how you arrange the interior since I am also hoping soon to put together my own space (in the house).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks all! I'm very happy with how it's coming along...it was wonderfully cool today, so I spent the day sanding, filling holes, and painting woodwork. Pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kate, Congratulations on your perserverance. I understand about your snarls, having a studio room added onto my house a couple of years ago!
    Could you have called your deack a porch and avoided some of the mess?
    Mary (Sailmary)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You know, I don't think that would have helped...someone told me they had all kinds of problems adding STEPS to their back deck. Good grief...

    I'll bet you're enjoying your studio!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails