In case you were wondering...

In case you were wondering...

This blog exists to encourage all those who have ever wanted--and needed!--a tiny getaway close to home. A workshop, playhouse, garden shed, sanctuary, mini-greenhouse, studio, home office; whatever it is you need, it IS doable, with some sacrifice, imagination, and compromise.

It helps if you're handy, too.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Missing Naomi...



Oh, my.  I had to have exposed rafters and beadboard ceilings.  Forcing paint into all those little crevices...

When we did the painting at the former drug house next door, Miss Naomi and her wonderful husband John helped; we had a ball.  Lots of work, lots of laughter, and pizza after.  They live in SF now, siiiigh.  We had Naomi's dad do one room over there, too, when he moved back here from Tennessee; Dubois was a professional painter for years--he's in SF now, too!  Boy, do I miss them. 


(Yes, of course for a lot of reasons!  But painting uneven surfaces overhead tends to make the missing more immediate...)

Nomes almost never gets a DROP of paint on herself--I looked like I'd dumped the bucket over my head.  Working overhead is rough in the best of times, but rafters and beadboard...eeeep.

And I had reason to think of The Wisdom of Mark, who suggested clear varnish.  YEAH.  If I'd missed a spot then, it wouldn't show!  Still lots of places to cut in with a paintbrush...

Brutal, but it's going to be SO nice.  I really did want to do it myself...and I'll be glad.  SOON.  Reaaaaaaaaaallll soon..........

6 comments:

  1. It will look very nice when done. My husband buys those cheap little throwaway brushes. They are very thinly bristled so they get into these tight spots easier than the good brushes. You can toss it at the end of a day of painting also rather than washing it (and putting all the paint down the drain). It will be much brighter and cheerier once done than just varnish would have made it. Keep up the good work. Your reward will come when you are sitting snugly in there this winter looking back on all this work and hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, girl! (It looks bigger, too, and I know it will expand when we get the walls finished, too.) I do use a pretty cheap brush, but didn't want to get one that would shed bristles into the paint. I wish I could find a small one we had recently though, it really does seem that it might get in those skinny places more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, tired arms and hurt necks....... Massage therapy is in order :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not kidding, Pam! We've been painting, today, and I'm wiped out! Know a good masseuse??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ick! Painting ceilings is the worst! But you'll soon have it all done and will bask in the glory of those clean white walls/ceiling. I know you're gonna love it. A little shed of heaven. Yahoo!

    Be glad you're not in Las Vegas...it's 106F and muggy. Blek.

    Jesse/Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, ICK. I am glad indeed--my sis lives in Henderson and I know it gets nasty, but muggy? Eeewwww...

    And thank you, yes, I am going to love it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails