In case you were wondering...

In case you were wondering...

This blog exists to encourage all those who have ever wanted--and needed!--a tiny getaway close to home. A workshop, playhouse, garden shed, sanctuary, mini-greenhouse, studio, home office; whatever it is you need, it IS doable, with some sacrifice, imagination, and compromise.

It helps if you're handy, too.

Monday, July 5, 2010

Champagne tastes on a beer budget...

Funny how simple often seems to cost more, and my quest for this or that leads to something totally impossible...

Take wind chimes...

I'd like a nice, large bamboo wind chime for the corner of the shed. I don't like little tinkly chimes, or fancy ones, or goofy ones; I prefer those that make you think of a mountain stream, or church bells, or a Tibetan monastery. The pentatonic scales ones are nice, too. Thinking, oh $20 tops.

Do not, repeat, do NOT go to this site--http://www.whimsicalwinds.com. They offer sound files, so you can HEAR their sound. The ones I really like are just a tad more...

OK, so we'll make one. I can find bamboo...it won't sound like Westminster Abbey, but then this isn't London...

So. We decided to have a motion sensor light on the deck, just so we know if someone's over there. (We HAVE been more than a little troubled by vandals this year...) We weren't in the mood to go shopping on the Saturday before the 4th, so I checked online...

TOO MANY CHOICES. And the one I liked best, a very simple, almost Japanese one that really seemed to complement the lines of the shed--it's more Craftsman style, really--cost way, way too much. As in WAY.

Meh.

8 comments:

  1. There is a set of windchimes we dearly love in our local garden centre... they are HUGE- the sound is like church bells and very, VERY, soothing. And over $1000. So we admire from afar...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omigosh! I didn't see any THAT high, but $500, yep. It's crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, that champagne taste on a beer budget is just what my husband would say of me! Given a blind choice of things I do pick the more expensive 90 times out of 100 but like you, I don't actually buy the stuff. I remember from my growing up years, little glass wind chimes that made the prettiest tinkly sound. I can't find them anymore and here where I live they wouldn't last 5 minutes in our wind but I sure do remember them. The bamboo sound much sturdier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do TRY to find something less, or make it myself. I guess I can't do that with a motion-sensor light, though.*G*

    Yep, I remember those wind chimes too, and the site I listed above actually has things that sound like that. I prefer the more mellow sound of the bamboo now, though...high tinkly sounds just go right through me! (Funny how weird we get when we get older!*G*)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have expensive tastes, too, and don't have the wallet to go with them--hehe! Altho I have been known to save up for a particular item just because I really love it and it is food for my soul that I will cherish...I tend to be fairly practical and will improvise and make my own when possible, also. Loving your shed! If I had a fat wallet I would buy you your wind chimes--hehe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Rita! And of course I save up for things too...more likely a watercolor box, though, than a wind chime. >;-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have these: http://www.whimsicalwinds.com/p/BELLS_OF_VIENNA_65_INCH_GREEN_WIND_CHIMES.html

    right in the back yard, outside the great room. i blew the entire summer budget to get them a few years back, and i am totally in love with them. they sing to me, often, and i love the deep tones, and the harmonics sing on afterwards, and make music in my heart and soul...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOooh, NICE. I do love the deep sounds...I'm not much of a high-tinkly-windchime type.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails