In case you were wondering...

In case you were wondering...

This blog exists to encourage all those who have ever wanted--and needed!--a tiny getaway close to home. A workshop, playhouse, garden shed, sanctuary, mini-greenhouse, studio, home office; whatever it is you need, it IS doable, with some sacrifice, imagination, and compromise.

It helps if you're handy, too.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Bits and pieces, again


Not good. It's been almost 5 days since our last rain, and this board is still damp. Everything else dried promptly--it's also mildewed and a bit rotten looking
at the top as well as the bottom.

I like using recycled stuff, but this isn't good.



This morning I took my coffee and my manuscript out to the shed to work on the final polishing before sending off this chapter. J. came over and brought me fresh coffee and asked if I was doing my "editation"! Yes, exactly!

MODIFIED yoga, too, I really don't want more injury to that knee, so doing most of it as "chair yoga."


This sweet cat lives up the street--she's come for a visit twice lately...


And here's most of the first coat of spar varnish on the French doors. I got the small door frame done, as well as the inside and outside of this one and the outside of the one on the left, as well as most of the frame (except the damp part.) It's lovely, like painting on honey. It will take another coat, at least.


So, obviously feeling better, though I did decide to stop with the varnish till tomorrow; my shoulder was beginning to complain, now! (Ralph Macchio I am not!)

10 comments:

  1. Sad about that rotting board. I suppose that means tearing it out. Everything else seems great, though, and I am glad you are able to start using the place a little-- that should lighten your heart.
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does help, Annie! I hadn't noticed the board was a bit cruddy at the top, too, till I got ready to sand and varnish. >:-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so neat!
    In the house that we are having built, my bedroom is going to be a big studio room, with my little twin bed in a corner. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the floor. I want carpet for my "bedroom", but not for my studio! Have a huge bathroom also. I should have had them make a separate bedroom, and a formal living room, but that would make the cost go up a lot.
    I've got 3 bedrooms in the front and, I think, if one of the grandsons decides to move, I'll take that bedroom and then I will have my studio room just for working.
    I don't like the brown paint that everyone is using these days, and couldn't think of what color I really want, so I just told them "white". Then we can pick up color with other things. I wanted a red stove, fridge, etc. but can't find them, so we are going with black. We don't like stainless steel now that we have it in the old place.
    Decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, it's not really rotting, just a bit mildewy - but if we can't get it dried out, it WILL rot and we definitely don't want that.

    Cecelia, your new house sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does, doesn't it! I hope you post photos, Cecelia...and I have a tiny red microwave at the cabin that I just love. It's 20 years old and will barely warm coffee, but it's so cute I don't care.

    It's just very odd that it's still damp after 5 days when everything else has been dry at least 3!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an odd board. We had drips in our garage and it took my husband forever to figure out where it was coming from. If something weren't leaking on it I would think it would have dried as quickly as everything else. This isn't the fun part is it? You'll get there. I would think the electricity would get in this week and you can start painting the inside. It WILL get done! It's so hard to wait. I guess we never really outgrow the feeling of not being able to wait for Christmas. We just cover it up better as we grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Timaree, I know. It really is a mystery, unless the thing had gotten salty and it's attracting moisture.

    I think you're quite right about waiting for Christmas, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joseph-- Hurray If it's mildew and not rot,YET, but isn't there stuff(anti-mildew, Anti-fungal)that can be put on?? Of course it's got to dry first, as you say.
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you don't have to replace the board.
    Love the picture with you and the window in reflection--and your visiting cat, too.
    Such a wonderful spot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope not too, Rita, but I never saw anything refuse to dry for a WEEK! I liked that picture too, and I'm really enjoying the brief kitty visits--she never stays long, but she's very affectionate!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails