In case you were wondering...

In case you were wondering...

This blog exists to encourage all those who have ever wanted--and needed!--a tiny getaway close to home. A workshop, playhouse, garden shed, sanctuary, mini-greenhouse, studio, home office; whatever it is you need, it IS doable, with some sacrifice, imagination, and compromise.

It helps if you're handy, too.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Guess what?? It's WINTER.


I put up "guess what" photos on my Flickr from time to time--it's become a game with us!  So far no one has actually nailed this one, though they're very, very close.

I've mentioned the problem with the insulation falling off under the floor of the shed...that means there's 3/4" of plywood between my feet and the North Pole!

So what IS this?


It's the paint water in my little enameled tin pot; I left it on the floor overnight.  We keep the heat in the shed at about 48 degrees when we're not there, but it can't overcome that icy floor!



I'm thawing my paintwater in front of the little heater!  Since we have to carry water over from the house, I'm sparing with it.  It'll work just fine once it melts...

And happily, I've since discovered that if I leave the little pot on the wool RUG instead of the floor, it doesn't freeze.  Nether does Pepi's water.  We WILL solve this before next winter!!!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Amazing. These things always make me think of pioneers and how in the world they survived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Ellen! I lived on a farm with similar conditions for 7 years...it was NOT easy. At least here I can come home and get my toes warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing the difference a wool run makes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes the difference between being able to use the place this winter, and not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate,
    I just wanted to let you know I'm a fan and posted something about your blog. You don't have to respond to the award, it's a bit time consuming but wanted you to know how much I enjoyed your blog.
    Marjorie
    www.cowgirlgoods.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well how sweet, thank you! I'm glad you enjoy us!

    You're right, I'm swamped right now and wouldn't have time to do the necessaries, but I'm flattered and delighted.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails