In case you were wondering...

In case you were wondering...

This blog exists to encourage all those who have ever wanted--and needed!--a tiny getaway close to home. A workshop, playhouse, garden shed, sanctuary, mini-greenhouse, studio, home office; whatever it is you need, it IS doable, with some sacrifice, imagination, and compromise.

It helps if you're handy, too.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Spring at the Shed...

Looks like all that work was worth it!

Of course this is just natural...the young forest across the alley where Belle likes to hunt...

Here, you can see some of the daffodils, the new young crabapple tree, one of the baby hollies, and of course, the shed!
The holly is blooming...profusely!
The ancient lilac did better this year than ever before...
Our original lilacs, forsythia, dogwood and crabapple are lovely this year...

And below, some of our surprise daffs...I thought I was getting a bag of all one kind, at Costco...instead, we have more kinds than I knew existed!  They bloom at slightly different times, so watching what's next has been fun.






Unfortunately, looks like neither of the red twig dogwood made it, and one of the viburnums has died, but the butterfly bush and the other viburnum are doing well...I want to plant a cedar, to block the neighbor's trash view, but it's all coming along nicely, especially for a very shady lot.

6 comments:

  1. It's a good thing it is shady, though, in the summer or it could be terribly hot out there. At least all the trees help to keep it cooler. What a lovely, lovely spot, Kate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's reasonably comfortable, Rita, and I like the shade a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just put two and two together, and made five! Flicking down through the photos, I recognised those jonquils, and checked your FAcebook posting, and lo and behold ... I too have a small shed, built by my husband, but at present it is full of clutter. Love your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now I've ordered a copy (via Amazon UK, of A Naturalist's Cabin), and it's coming from New York. Can't wait to see and read it, for I know it will be inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoy the book, Ann! Building that cabin was quite an adventure, 20+ years ago. I was much younger, obviously, and built it myself, with a young carpenter friend. I learned a LOT, and it was a very satisfying experience. With the Shed of Reality, I had to let someone else do the heavy work, but I love it just as much. (We still own the cabin...)

    Do you ever wish you could clear your shed out and use it for a studio? I saw you were using your caravan for that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The nature is always an appealing force for any person so Building a shed in such natural and cool place is every ones dream, where he/she can take some good rest after a hard day.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails