In case you were wondering...

In case you were wondering...

This blog exists to encourage all those who have ever wanted--and needed!--a tiny getaway close to home. A workshop, playhouse, garden shed, sanctuary, mini-greenhouse, studio, home office; whatever it is you need, it IS doable, with some sacrifice, imagination, and compromise.

It helps if you're handy, too.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The shed gets a prezzie!

Two of them, actually...

I love rocks. Always have, even as a kid, filling my pockets till I could barely walk, dragging them home from mountains and Ozarks to make mini-environments in my own back yard.. Round rocks particularly fascinate me, wondering where they've been, how they were formed, what's inside them. Some are geodes, some are formed by wind, like the tiny round sandstone pebble I brought home from Nevada a few years ago, literally scoured out of its cliff-face mother by eons of desert wind.


Recently I was asked for my mailing address by Pablo (the author Paul Lamble) of Roundrock Journal...one of my favorite blogs that covers the natural discoveries over his 83 acres of Ozark land--including a long line of round rocks appearing here and there, hence the blog name. 

It's always been a pleasure to read, full of astute observation and wisdom, and though I understand what he meant when he told me his rambles of explorations had morphed into searches for blog material instead of simply discovery, I miss it anyway.  (It's on hiatus till further notice, but worth going back and reading old entries, and I do! 

He told me he had a present for the shed, and I'll admit I had my hopes!

Well, to make a long story short, we returned from the West to find a HEAVY box waiting at the post office, and in it were the two beautiful round rocks you see here, nestled with Missouri limestone and a chunk of pink quartzite carried here by the glacier.  They've found a new home, near pebbles from the Rockies, the seashore, and more...

Thank you, Pablo, I couldn't be more delighted!

4 comments:

  1. Rocks are so very cool. I always have to wonder how old they might be - I could be holding something thousands or millions of years old in my hand!

    I have a collection of rocks that a family friend brought back from England, labeled as to where they came from - Wordsworth's Grave, Anne Hathaway's garden, and more. I'd been wondering what I should do with them - maybe I will get them out and paint their picture :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails